Just like most of the other infections in our body, an ear infection is too caused by virus or bacteria. Often this infection happens in the middle ear. Ear infections lead to various discomforts including fluid coming out of the ear, tugging at the ear, pain, difficulty to respond to sound correctly, headaches, fever and even difficulty in sleeping. If an ear infection is left unattended, it can prove to be damaging as the ear drums may get ruptured. If it is more chronic one may even go deaf, though this only happens in extreme cases.
It is important to contact the doctor to get rid of an ear infection. However, if you want an immediate and less costly relief you can try some natural home remedies. Here are the top simple, easy and honored natural remedies to rid of an ear infection.
One of the good things about salt is that it is always readily available. Whenever you need it, you can be sure that you will have it. Salt is one of the natural remedies that can be used to get rid of an ear infection. It makes sure that the fluid in the ear gets out.
- Heat a cup of salt in the microwave for about 3 minutes.
- Put the salt in a thick cloth or a sock. Ensure that it is secure with another cloth or a rubber band.
- Cool it a bit until it becomes just warm.
- Place it on the infected ear for as long as you can.
Repeat this daily as often as you are able.
2. Garlic Oil
One of the first things you would want to do and would want to do it internally in your ear is use garlic oil for an ear infection. Garlic oil is available almost in any health food store. It has natural antiviral properties. Most of the time an ear infection occurs, mostly it is because of a viral infection rather than bacteria related. This is why garlic oil is extremely useful. However, garlic oil also has some antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effects. To apply it just put a drop or two directly to the ear. Be careful not to exceed.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is among the best solutions for doing away with fungus from the ear.
- Mix apple cider vinegar with some equal amount of alcohol or water.
- Take a cotton ball and soak it in the solution.
- Put the cotton ball directly in the ear and leave it for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the cotton ball and lay down on the opposite side so as to flush out the solution from the ear.
- You may use a hair dryer to dry your ear.
Alternatively, if you are not able to access apple cider vinegar, you can use white vinegar.
If you only have a minor ear infection, you can use basil as a natural remedy. Not only can it help in reducing pain in the ear, but it can also cure the infection.
- Crush five basil leaves and get the juice.
- Apply the juice around the ear but be careful not to place it directly on the ear canal.
- Repeat this twice daily.
5. Hydrogen Peroxide
A majority of people have no idea that hydrogen peroxide can be used beyond cleaning cuts and wounds. In the case of an ear infection, you can use hydrogen peroxide to clean the ear and eventually eliminate the infection.
- Place a few drops of hydrogen peroxide directly in the ear.
- Wait for some few minutes for it to get into contact with the infection.
- Repeat this two times a day.
6. Olive Oil
As you may already know, ear infections may be caused due to wax deposits in the ear that result to germination of fungus and bacteria. Ultimately this blocks the ear. One of the best solutions to this problem is olive oil. Use olive oil for an ear infection since it has the ability to break down all these obstructions.
- Warm Olive Oil until it is bearable.
- Put directly a drop or two into the affected ear.
- Use a clean cotton swab to remove the infected wax.
Do not put the cotton swab too far into your ear otherwise; you may damage the ear drum.
Not only can you use onion as the main cooking ingredient but also you can use it for medical purposes. It is very useful when it comes to ear infections.
- Take a small onion, chop it and heat it for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Let it cool and then get the juice.
- Put 3 drops of the juice into the affected ear.
- Drain it out after 10 minutes.
8. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is known widely for its mild antibacterial healing properties. Use tea tree oil for an ear infection, and you can get an instant relief.
- Mix 3 drops of tea tree oil, apple cider vinegar and two drops of olive oil.
- Warm the solution for some few minutes.
- Add some few drops in the affected ear and position yourself in such a way that the solution will not fall out of the ear.
- Wait for 5 minutes and then drain by positioning yourself in the opposite direction.
Do this three time a day.
9. Mullein Flower Oil
Mullein is a wild flowering plant that is grown in some several areas. It can help reduce discomfort and pain that goes with an ear infection. Typically, this is recommended for adults rather than children.
- Heat the mullein flower oil.
- Do not make it too hot.
- Insert a cotton ball in the oil and place it in the affected ear.
10. Essential Oil
You make use of essential oils for an ear infection. Massage the outside part of your ear and neck/face/ jaw area with diluted essential oils. This is said to encourage good circulation and facilitate a normal drainage. The oils that are commonly recommended for this purpose are rosemary, eucalyptus, thyme, oregano, and lavender.
Bottom Line: Additional Tips (Do’s and Don’ts)
- Frequently wash your hands as it helps to prevent the infection from spreading.
- Immunize your child with (Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine) PCV since almost 90% of ear infections happen to children.
- Avoid smoking.
- Avoid visiting places that are overcrowded.