10 Ways To Get Rid Of Dry Scalp
Dry scalp simply means having scaly flakes on scalp and it can be very irritating. The flakes are loosely attached to the scalp and hence they easily come off the hair. Dry scalp can be caused by dehydration, psoriasis, eczema, poor nutrition and even the use of the wrong shampoo. The best thing is that there are home remedies that can help get rid of dry scalp easily and naturally. Some of the natural ways to get rid of dry scalp include:
1. Hair care Regimen
This involves cutting down on the times that you clean your hair to up to 3 times in a week. Ensure you use cooler water since it reduces the natural oils leading to a tight and dry feeling. Also avoid the use of styling products that are hot like as hair dryers. Try as much as possible to use one product for anti-dandruff shampoo. This is because each type of shampoo that is anti-dandruff works differently for different people. Alternate your anti-dandruff shampoo with regular shampoo. To have the best results , lather your hair twice using the anti-dandruff shampoo and let it settle in your hair for about 5 minutes for the best results. Using a conditioner after shampooing is recommended to avoid dryness. Though it is tempting, avoid as much as possible not to scratch itchy scalp as it worsens the condition such as hair loss and bleeding.
2. Olive Oil Massage
Olive oil restores the scalps moisture balance. The following steps should be followed for best results:
- In a bowl, mix lemon juice with olive oil.
- Take warm water in a bowl.
- Take the mixture and massage it onto the scalp and do not touch blistered areas.
- Take a towel and soak it in hot water and wrap your hair then wait for 10 minutes.
- Wash your hair with mild shampoo.
3. Neem Leaves
The neem leaves have anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties that go a long way to heal dry scalp and ease itching. For it to work:
- In 4cups of hot water add 2 handfuls of neem leaves.
- Leave the mixture overnight.
- Take the mixture in the morning and our the liquid onto your scalp.
A paste can also be made from the leaves and applied onto the scalp , take an hour and then rinse off with clean water.
Healthy and balanced diet go a long way to ensure healthy hair and scalp. Some of these foods should be plenty in your meal:
- Fish oil which contains omega 3 acids- these are important for strong skin and hair. Fish oil helps clear the symptoms of a flaky scalp.
- Soft proteins like chicken, eggs, beans, fish, nuts- these support growth of hair and skin that is healthy skin and alleviating dandruff.
- Green leafy vegetables- increase your take in of kales, broccoli, and lettuce and avoid iceberg lettuce.
5. Tea Tree Oil and Aloe Vera
Tea tree oil is well known to be antiseptic and it can be very effective in easing flaky dry scalp. It also heals the scalp and has an anti-inflammatory effect. Tea tree oil remedy can be made by mixing it in 1: 1 ratio with aloe Vera then apply it to the scalp. Leave it for two hours and the wash off with water.
6. Take In A Lot Of Water
General dehydration can lead to flakey and dry scalp. The body cells flake off and shrivel due to lack of water. Eating too much salt or having a sluggish metabolism rate can lead to this. Ensure that your level of water intake is plenty throughout the day.
7. Coconut Oil, Aloe Vera and Almond Oil
This simple recipe combines a soothing, anti-inflammatory properties of aloe Vera together with deep conditoinig effect of coconut oil that help sooth irritated scalp.
- Mix 1 spoon of aloe Vera, 1 spoon of almond oil as as well as virgin coconut oil.
- Apply the mixture to the scalp and leave 15 minutes for it to sink in.
- Wash off the mixture with mild shampoo.
This mixture can used 2-3 times in a week for better results and long lasting fresh scalp.
8. Use A Moisturizing Shampoo
Moisturizing shampoo is the best cleanser for your hair. It prevents drying off of the hair and scalp when washed. Ensure that you use warm water together with the gentle formula of moisturizing shampoo. Also ensure that you use a hydrating conditioner since shampooing takes away the essential oils from your hair. Hydrated conditioner will help return the moisture of your hair and it will help avoid dry hair and scalp.
9. Avoid Styling Products
Styling products that contain alcohol and fragrances lead to dry scalp. Reduce the amount of styling products you use such as hair gels, hair sprays, mousses because in the long run they dry up your hair in the long run. Subjecting your hair to heat also leads to dry hair that is dull. Try as much as possible to stay away from such things.
10. Use Essential Oils
Use of essential oils as such as lemon grass oil are also good for dry hair and scalp. Also the use of lavender essential oils and sandalwood essential oils are good for cleaning, soothing and moisturizing the scalp.
Exfoliating your scalp is also a good way to take care of your scalp. Use olive oil and sugar scrub, add brown sugar to olive oil and massage them on the scalp. Then shampoo as usual and it will help to remove dry flakes and stimulate sebaceous glands. There is also the use of egg- yogurt treatment. Mix an egg with four spoons of yogurt then add two spoons of honey and almond oil. Combine them all and apply it on your hair and scalp.
Dry scalp needs a lot of care and attention and with these tips it is easier to manage a healthy scalp. Make use of readily available resources and have the scalp you desire as well as beautiful hair. There are also some useful tips that should be put into consideration such as:
- Avoid the exposure of hard water to the scalp and hair.
- Avoid the use of harsh shampoo with high levels of chemical.
- Avoid exposing hair to extreme weather conditions.
- Try as much as possible to have your hair natural and take a balanced diet.