10 Ways To Stop Post Nasal Drip Cough
A post nasal drip cough is caused by the secretion of mucus in the nasal cavities over the nose. Several factors may play an important role in causing such mucus hypersecretion. Usually, runny nose and cough are caused by allergies such as hay fever. Many times, they can also be caused by cold, flu, rhinitis and sinusitis.
Some different conditions that might be connected with nasal trickle are illnesses such as laryngopharyngeal indigestion, hormonal changes, pregnancy and certain meds – including conception prevention pills and pharmaceuticals for hypertension, or different sustenances and flavors. But most usually, the inhalation of certain irritants such as dust, smoke or smog are the main reasons for recurring post nasal drip cough.
1. Avoid Milk Products
According to some studies, the lactose content of the milk is responsible for bacterial throat infections and allergies, which help in the stimulation large amounts of mucus. Therefore, try to avoid all dairy products, when you suffer from a nasal drip. This will facilitate rapid recovery.
2. Blow Your Nose
Blowing your nose will help remove excess mucus in the throat storage. This would also eliminate the feeling of dripping in the throat. Therefore, you should always blow your nose once in a while and get rid of excess mucus – be sure to use separate tissues to stop bacterial growth on the surface of your nose.
3. Inhalate Some Steam
Steam helps to relax and melt mucus in your throat. It also helps in stopping post nasal drip cough. All you need to do is boil water in some large vessels, and take in the steam by covering the back of your with a towel. You can also choose to add water eucalyptus oil to the water, in order to obtain more effective results.
4. Gargle Salt Water
Gargling salt water is an ancient remedy that is a sure fire solution to almost any kind of throat infection, including post nasal drip cough. Just add half a tablespoon of salt to lukewarm water, and gargle this mixture three times a day without fail, and then rinse with some fresh water. You are bound to will get instant relief.
5. Drink Liquids
When you are suffering from post nasal drip cough, drinking water and is essential to avoid dehydration since You should drink at least eight glasses of water a day. You could also try to drink hot soups and fruit juices to soothe your throat – fluids are useful in rinsing excess mucus stuck in the throat.
6. Use Peppermint Oil Drops
The main effect of peppermint oil are fever, relieve nausea and vomiting, improve digestion and relieve pain and other respiratory system. Peppermint oil smell the nose, a few drops of peppermint oil in a large bowl of hot water, steam inhalation of its dissemination, can instantly make the nostrils open.
7. Hot Water Therapy
If your post nasal drip cough affects sleep, try some hot water therapy. Basically, you would need to put your feet in hot water – this helps in subsiding nasal congestion. This also regulates cortical excitation and inhibition, thereby promoting sleep quality.
8. Massage Your Nose
Lateral nasal massage treatment: Facing the right side of the left nasal obstruction, lie down, and pinch your nose with the index finger and middle finger on both sides of the nose. By doing this acupoint massage for one to two minutes, stuffy nose can be removed and hence can relieve you from cough.
9. Baking Soda Is Useful
Baking soda can be little harsh as a treatment, but you are willing to go that extra mile to get rid of post nasal drip cough, here’s what you need to do. Blend one container of warm water along with one teaspoon of salt, and add a squeeze of heating pop to this mixture. Now, get yourself a nasal syringe and try injecting the blend into your nostril, shutting off the back of your throat. Move your head in all angles for about ten seconds to get the solution flowing to all parts of your nose. Once you are done with that, clean out the extra mucus.
10. Try Modern Medicine
If all else fails, decongestants are the way to go. They can deplete your sinuses and improve you feel stacks, the main issue is not everybody is alright with them. Simply make sure to utilize the pills, and direct clear from nasal splashes. You can likewise attempt hack prescription. It might sound interesting, however some hack medications dainty over the top bodily fluid.
Do’s And Don’ts
Getting treated the right way is one thing, but to make sure that you do not aggravate the existing post nasal drip and coughing, you are better off knowing the following advice:
- Do not smoke! In case you are a smoker, quit smoking to allow your lungs to get rid of chemicals and dry cough as this would only aggravate the existing post nasal drip cough. Checking out this online vape shop could be a start in the journey of becoming a non smoker! As there are many alternative methods that can help you give up this habit, there shouldn’t be any excuses as to why you can’t at least try.
- Do take a hot shower, since it can loosen the thick nasal mucus, relieving you from cough caused by post nasal conditions. Humidifiers add a large amount of moisture in the air dried to help relieve dry cough caused by a cold.
- Do remember to get your air conditioning unit serviced. If your AC system is not working properly, or if it has not been cleaned for a long time, there is a chance that harmful allergens might be present in your vents and this can make your allergies much worse. Fortunately, there are plenty of fantastic electricians out there that are qualified to service and clean your HVAC system. Reading from Australia? A quick search for ‘electrician st kilda‘ might be all it takes for you to find an electrician that can get your air conditioning system serviced and working as it should be.
- Similarly, humidifiers which produce hot or cold vapor are as effective as each other. However, the cool mist humidifiers are often cheaper than warm mist humidifiers in the absence of the heating element. If you use a humidifier to get rid of a persistent cough, do keep it clean to prevent bacteria and fungi in your home. Having a look at some great humidifers to help coughing and dryness may be one of the best decisions you make to help get rid of a nasty cough.
- If your cough is constantly bothering you or if you experience other symptoms such as breathing difficulties or weight loss, do consult a doctor – he will be able to look at your problem and help you solve your coughs and sore throats once for all.
Home remedies can be effective in their own right, but if you are someone who is very susceptible to bronchiolitis, which is a kind of pneumonia, or if you often turn purple due to recurrent cough, then you should immediately rush to a nearby hospital for emergency treatment.