Head lice are one of the most irritating things one can have. Most often they are characterized by irritation and an itchy scalp. Lice spread really fast so when one family member gets them; the other members are most likely to get attacked by them too. School going children are generally more vulnerable to lice.
Getting rid of head lice can be a difficult task; moreover it’s not always advisable to rely on cosmetic shampoos and lotions as they could cause potential harm to your hair and scalp. The good news is that several inexpensive yet effective natural remedies can be used to get rid of lice at home. Keep reading to find them out.
Garlic has a strong fragrance that can suffocate lice and ultimately kill them.
- Grind 8 to 10 garlic cloves to make a paste. Mix in 2 to 3 teaspoons of lime juice. Thoroughly apply this mixture onto the scalp. Let it sit for 30 minutes then thoroughly rinse your hair with hot water.
- You can alternatively form a thick paste by mixing fresh garlic juice with lemon extract, some cooking oil, some shampoo, green tea and conditioner. Thoroughly coat the hair with the paste then cover the scalp with a shower cap or towel for about 30 minutes. Wash your hair using your regular shampoo. This remedy should be repeated weekly basis for 1 to 2 months.
2.) Olive Oil
Olive oil will smother and kill head lice.
- Soak your hair in olive oil then leave it overnight. Wash the hair normally to remove the oil. Rinse with white vinegar then let it stay for 5 minutes. Afterwards, use lukewarm water to rinse the hair in order to remove the vinegar.
- You can alternatively mix a cup olive oil with cup conditioner and some liquid soap. Apply this mixture onto the hair and let it sit for an hour. Rinse out the hair and apply conditioner. Thoroughly comb your hair to get rid of the dead lice. For best results, this remedy should be repeated after a week.
3.) Baby Oil
This is one of the easiest natural treatments that can treat lice at home. Baby oil is believed to help suffocate the head lice. You will require baby oil, white vinegar and laundry detergent. Apply baby oil on the hair then comb it slowly for the lice to start falling from the head.
Then wash the hair with hot water and laundry detergent.
Put white vinegar on the hair before bed then cover the head with a towel or shower cap.
Wash your hair in the morning with regular shampoo then apply some conditioner.
For positive results, repeat this procedure for at least 3 to 4 days.
Salt can be used to get rid of head lice through desiccation.
- Thoroughly mix ¼ cup salt and ¼ cup vinegar.
- Spray the solution gently onto your hair to make it slightly wet. Cover with a shower cap then leave it on for about two hours.
- Wash and condition the hair.
For positive results, repeat this procedure after every three days.
5.) Tree Tea Oil
This essential oil is a known natural insecticide and this makes it effective in lice treatment at home.
- Mix tea tree oil with olive oil then apply to your hair. Rub into the scalp. Let it sit for 30 minutes to one hour before washing. Wash the hair to get rid of the oil and rinse it with vinegar. Finally, comb your hair to remove any remaining lice.
- Note: Tea tree oil should not be applied directly to the scalp.
6.) Coconut Oil
The lubricating nature of this oil will make lice to stop moving freely thus preventing its multiplication.
- First, thoroughly rinse the hair with apple cider vinegar then allow it to dry.
- Second, use coconut oil to completely saturate your hair and scalp. Cover your head using a towel or shower cap then let it sit for 6 to 8 hours or overnight.
- Comb your hair in the morning and shampoo as usual.
Repeat this procedure weekly to eradicate lice. For more effectiveness, mix the coconut oil with a few drops of the anise essential oil before application.
7.) Sesame Seed Oil
Sesame oil has high anti-fungal, antibacterial and natural insecticide properties that enable it to effectively treat head lice.
- Make a mixture of ¼ cup sesame seed oil, an eighth of cup neem oil, a teaspoon of the tea tree oil, ‘ teaspoon of rosemary and eucalyptus essential oils, and around 10 drops of the lavender essential oil.
- Rinse the hair using apple cider vinegar then allow it to dry.
- Apply the solution to your hair and scalp then cover with a towel or shower cap and leave it on to stay overnight.
- Thoroughly comb your hair in the morning to get rid of the dead lice. Shampoo normally.
This treatment should be repeated daily for 1 or 2 weeks.
8.) White Vinegar
White vinegar is among the most inexpensive and safe home remedies for head lice. It contains acetic acid, which can kill lice.
- Dilute the white vinegar by adding equal amount of water.
- Use the solution to saturate your hair and scalp then use a towel to wrap around the hair for an hour or two.
- Next, dip your comb in white vinegar then comb your hair, as you focus on a small section of the hair at a time.
You can also use the white vinegar to rinse your hair before and after shampooing.
9.) Butter and Lemon
Pour a few drops of lemon juice into a bowl of butter. Apply this paste on the head and let it sit for like 20 minutes. Wash it off with normal water.
Mayonnaise has a lot of oil with viscosity properties which will suffocate live lice.
- Liberally apply full-fat mayonnaise over your scalp.
- Cover the hair with a towel or shower cap then leave it on for around 8 hours or overnight.
- Shampoo and comb any remaining head lice out of the hair.
Repeat this procedure daily for one week.
Other Tips to Help Get Rid of Head Lice
- Dry, Dry, Dry
It is important to dry any clothing and bedding that has been used in a dryer for 20-30 minutes daily. You don’t have to wash them in hot water as some people would advice. You only need to dry them.
Put the things that cannot be dried in the freezer for two days. This will kill the lice.
- Hand Pick Out the Lice and Nits
Divide your hair into sections then clip. Leave a small section down. Pierce nits from hair using tips of the finger nails. Place the nits between your thumb nails and press them together. If you hear the sound of a pop then the nit is still alive but if you don’t, then it’s an empty shell.
- Bag It Up
If you are unable to dry something and there is no room in your freezer, then bag everything up for one week. This works perfect for things like extra blankets and stuffed animals.
- Avoid Sharing
Sharing is the easiest way to spread head lice. When you have lice, it is important not to share brushes, combs, hats, beds or cloths or you will have lice spread quickly like wild fire.